About the profession
Landscape architect is a specialist turn an open space into green space. Professional landscape architect work with a small piece of land around the house as well as vast areas of the national parks or nature reserves.
Landscape architecture developed on the basis of landscape art, which is one of the most important working areas of the landscape architect. Landscape art is not only park building, but also the formation of cities’ open spaces, inter-settlement spaces and other populated areas, based on landscape study.
Garden and park art has always been distinguished by creative diversity in solving its specific tasks. The nature of this art depended on historical conditions, the terrain, level of culture, and distinctive features of people. Landscape architecture as a degree was formed in 1900 despite the fact that mankind has been implementing it throughout its history.
Landscape architecture is an extraordinary combination of art and science, design and the environment.
Unlike other types of art, the basis of landscape architecture is nature. Landscape architecture uses a variety of vegetation, relief as a geoplastic element, soil as an environment for vegetation development, stone and trees as a material for architectural elements, water in a still state and in motion, air as an element of space and perspective.
The specialist working with trees, shrubs, flowers to achieve a maximum spatial, decorative and color effects.
An intensive immersion into the professional activities takes place during the first year. Students will acquire cultural and professional competence. Graduates can carry out production and technological activities; ensure various types of construction works and maintain landscape architecture objects. They will be prepared to manage the objects of landscape architecture in the field of their functional use and protection. They will participate in the organization of technical and copyright control.
Students in the field of landscape architecture will actively participate in various Russian and international conferences, forums, festivals, roundtable discussions, competitions. It is not uncommon for the students to become winners of various professional competitions.
- Methodology of scientific work
- Phytodesign and Floristics
- Basic restoration and reconstruction of landscape objects
- Design of the urban environment
- Landscape and architectural composition
- Mathematical modeling of urban ecosystems
- Ecological design in the urban environment
- Sustainable management of objects of landscape architecture
- Vertical layout of objects of landscape architecture
- Landscape architecture in tropical countries
- Modern problems of landscape architecture
Annually, students will undergo educational and work experience internships in Russian and foreign educational establishments, research and industrial organizations, amongst which are:
- Sochi National Park, Sochi
- Nikitsky Botanical Garden, Yalta, Crimea
- The main botanical garden named after N.V. Tsitsina RAS, Moscow
- CJSC «Moszelenstroy», Moscow
- Workshop of landscape architecture and design of the RUDN
- Laboratory Agro-ecological Monitoring, Modeling and Forecasting in Ecosystems, Russian State Agrarian University - Moscow Agricultural Academy named after K.A. Timiryazev
- Design institutes and workshops
- Alpine Research Center of the University of Tuscia (Italy)
Graduates’ expertise and career opportunities
Specialists educated in RUDN will be able to use their knowledge in:
- Urban monitoring and inventorying at the objects of landscape architecture, compilation of a cadaster of green plantations;
- Participation in the research analysis of the condition and dynamics of quality indicators of landscape architecture objects, natural and cultural landscapes;
- Preparation of scientific and technical reports, reviews, publications the results of research in the field of landscape architecture;
- Participation in team work project activities, related to sustainable development of territories at the stage of territorial planning and preparation of master plans for settlements and urban agglomerations;
- Identification of valuable natural complexes, zones of protected landscapes, unique landforms, vegetation, water bodies;
- Development of conceptual and innovative design solutions for planning organization of open spaces;
- Designing of enterprises for the production of planting material: ornamental nurseries, greenhouse and greenhouse complexes.