Management and design of urban green infrastructure
Tuscia University, Italy
A double-degree program «Management and design of urban green infrastructure» offers the opportunity to get an international formation and to acquire a double title following the agreement between Tuscia University and Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia (RUDN University).
The purpose of the program is the training of qualified personnel in the direction of design, implementation and sustainable management urban green infrastructure. The disciplines of the program allow to obtain theoretical knowledge and practical skills both in landscape design and architecture as well as in environmental monitoring, assessment, modeling and maintenance of urban ecosystems and their components. The format of the program is in accordance with Russian and international educational standards and are adequate to the current market requirements.
Particular attention is paid to the development of advanced technologies for best management practices and nature-based solutions in urban planning, which significantly improve the environmental quality of the urban environment and the comfort of life in cities. The program implies the training of mixed groups of students from Russian and Italian partner universities and is focused on training international experts adapted to work in the academic, practical, organizational, administrative and production spheres in, Russia and the EU countries.
The first year is held at RUDN University (Moscow) and it consists of two semesters of lectures, while the second year, at Tuscia University (Italy), is articulated with 1 semester of lectures followed by thesis activities in the laboratories and experimental areas of Tuscia University (DIBAF) and/or RUDN University.
RUDN, 1st year
Landscape design, architecture and city-planning; Urban ecology; Data analysis and statistics; Introduction to geodesy, cartography and GIS; Phytopathology and Plant Protection; Scientific writing skills; Advanced English/ Russian for foreigners/ Introduction to Italian
UNITUS, 2nd year
Phyto-technologies to protect water and soil in urban areas; Trees and plants to improve air quality of urban areas; Soil pollution and monitoring; Principles of remote sensing and modeling; Urban forestry; Urban hydrology; Free selection courses
Master thesis are developed under double supervision from both universities and based on their laboratory and experimental infrastructures.
- All the lectures and seminars are given by the leading professors and scientists of Tuscia University and RUDN University.
- Participation in joint projects under European and Russian scientific funding.
- An opportunity to obtain individual study plans.
- Mobility fellowships for the 2nd year (4000€ from Lazio Province or 850€ per month from ERASMUS + KA107 Project).
- Practical classes and internships in laboratories and experimental areas of Tuscia University (DIBAF), RUDN University and other partner universities and companies.
- Students, following the program, actively participate in international research conferences and design contests. The best research are published in the per-reviewed journals and in the conference proceeding materials.
- Students, involved in landscape design projects, have an opportunity to present their works at the annual international contests and exhibitions in Moscow, Saint-Petersburg, Paris, Florence, Munich etc.
Career perspectives for graduates
Graduates of this MSc will be able to: demonstrate a deep knowledge of landscape design and architecture on the urban and territorial scale; evaluate and manage all those environmental issues that may arise in urban areas thanks to a solid preparation concerning forest pathology, urban hydrology and soil pollution and to propose valid interventions to solve them; to evaluate the vegetation cartography thanks to a specific knowledge of geodesy, cartography and GIS.
Possible career trajectories for the program graduates include:
- PhD position in Russia, European Union or United States;
- International research institutes and governmental organizations (FAO UNESCO, IASA, WIMEK, ISRIC etc);
- International private companies (Barilla, EuroChem).
- Private companies and NGOs in landscape design and management of urban green infrastructure
- Consultancy in urban ecosystem services and nature-based solutions