Innovative technologies in prospecting and exploration of solid minerals
Academy of Engineering
About the profession
Mining-and-geological industry is the backbone of economy of any country. Every day in developing countries, the demand for highly qualified competent geologists with knowledge, skills and abilities to develop innovative solutions to production tasks on prospecting and exploration of solid minerals is increasing.
Within two years of study, students gain knowledge of the historical stages of development, current state and relevant problems of geological science, methodology and methods of integrated geological research in solving scientific and applied problems; learn modern methods of planning and organizing research, conducting and documenting observations and research, methods of data summarizing and processing; acquire the skills of independent research, applied, pedagogical work, the choice of the necessary research methods.
Knowledge acquisition. Graduates of this specialist area acquire knowledge of the study of patterns of formation of local clusters of mineral raw materials; prospecting and geological exploration of these objects by various methods, as well as knowledge of comprehensive geological-economic assessment of raw materials at different stages of the exploration process.
Programme advantages. Upon completion of the programme, graduates can:
- apply innovative methods of geological and geophysical research and information processing;
- create 3-D geological models of fields;
- use innovative approaches in solving tasks based on modern software: Micromine, Surpac, ArcGis, Surfer, etc.
- apply innovative methods of predicting mineral deposits.
The most significant disciplines:
"Litofacial analysis in exploration and development"; "Mathematical modeling of geological tasks"; "Integration of geophysical methods for prospecting mineral deposits"; "3D modeling of mineral deposits".
- On-the-job internship for obtaining professional skills and professional experience takes place within 6 weeks in the summer period after the first year of study at exploration enterprises in Russia (Kursk region, Southern and Polar Urals, Trans-Baikal Territory, Far Eastern Federal District, etc.) and foreign countries (Africa, Middle East, Latin America, Asia). The application of innovative approaches in solving geological tasks is one of the main tasks of internship.
- On-the-job research-teaching internship is held during the fall semester of the second year of study. Students conduct research work together with their research advisors and the results of this work are introduced into the training process in the form of modernization and updating of a training package of disciplines, as well as give practical and/or laboratory classes for students-geologists enrolled in a specialist or bachelor’s degree programme.
- Pre-graduation internship is aimed at writing a graduation thesis.
Research work (R&D) is performed in the following main research areas:
- Innovative remote sensing methods (study of satellite imagery) in geology
- Geochemical prospecting and methods of predicting mineral deposits
- Computer 3-D modeling
- Integration of geophysical methods for prospecting mineral deposits
- Paleofacial reconstruction of the territory
Upon successful completion of this programme, graduates get a state-recognized diploma (if necessary – an internationally recognized diploma). They can also be employed in the following organizations:
Major mining and exploration companies (as Geologist, Chief Geologist, Senior Geologist, Head of Department, etc.):
- Norilsk Nickel (Nornickel);
- United Company RUSAL;
- Polymetal International INC.;
- Kinross Gold Corporation;
- BHP Billiton;
- Rio Tinto;
- and etc.
Design and Research Geological Institutes
(as Geologist, Geological Engineer, Researcher, Senior Researcher, etc.):
- Central Research Institute of Geological Prospecting for Base and Precious Metals (TsNIGRI);
- A.P. Karpinsky Russian Geological Research Institute (VSEGEI);
- All-russian scientific-research institute of mineral resources named after N.M. Fedorovsky (VIMS);
- Institute of Mineralogy, Geochemistry and Crystallochemistry of Rare Elements (IMGRE);
- and etc.
Institutes of the Academy of Sciences
(as Researcher, Senior Researcher, etc.):
- Geological Institute (GIN RAS);
- Institute of Geology of Ore Deposits, Petrography, Mineralogy and Geochemistry (IGEM RAS);
- Other Institutes of Geology of the Scientific Centers of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
And other organizations related to subsoil use.