Geological survey, prospecting and exploration of solid mineral deposits
About the profession
Mining-and-geological industry is the backbone of economy of any country. Every day in developing countries, the demand for highly qualified geologists competent in geological surveying, prospecting and exploration of solid minerals is increasing. This educational programme allows graduates to get such professions as a geologist, geological engineer, geochemist, mineralogist, petrologist, etc.
Within five years of study, students gain theoretical knowledge and practical skills of geological surveying, prospecting and exploration of solid minerals.
The programme is aimed at training mining geological engineers (specialists) who can apply their knowledge and skills in solving issues related to the study of the Earth and its subsoil, the development of the mineral resources base, prediction, prospecting, exploration, exploitation of solid minerals to meet the needs of fuel, metallurgical, chemical industries, the needs of agriculture, construction, the assessment of the ecological status of territories.
Programme advantages: Upon completion of the programme, graduates can:
- carry out geological mapping, prospecting, evaluation and exploration works;
- draw up projects for geological exploration;
- define promising areas;
- design places for laying mines and wells, keep documentation;
- determine the types and methods of testing and methods of their analysis;
- create 2-D and 3-D geological and geophysical models of solid mineral deposits;
- evaluate the predicted resources and estimate reserves of solid mineral deposits;
- perform scientific and production tasks using modern specialized software (Micromine, ArcGis, Surpac, Surfer, etc.).
The most significant disciplines:
"Forecast and prospecting of minerals"; "Industrial types of mineral deposits"; "Basics of the development of solid mineral deposits"; "Exploration and geological-economic assessment of minerals", etc.
- Educational geodesic internship is held during the spring semester of the 1st year of study on the territory of the University (campus and courtyard of the academic building of the Engineering Academy). Students gain knowledge and skills of working with geodetic instruments in the field, learn to draw up topographic maps.
- Educational geological internship is held after the 1st year of study in summer within one month on the territory of the Republic of Crimea. Students learn to work with geological tools (hammer, compass, map, GPS navigator, etc.) in the field, study various rocks and their location in the geological section, learn to draw up geological maps, as well as perform many other works that help to understand the geologist’s field life.
- Educational geophysical internship is held after the 2nd year of study in summer within two weeks at the training ground near the city of Miass, Chelyabinsk region. Students acquire skills of working with geophysical equipment in the field, master working principles and prospecting methods of magnetic prospecting, electrical exploration, radiometry in the area of a gold ore field, which allows students to see the actual results of the work.
- Educational mineralogical-geochemical internship is held after geophysical internship, it takes place for 2 weeks in the vicinity of Miass city. The internship is focused on the consolidation of the mineralogy course and diagnostics of rocks and minerals in the field. Students are engaged in prospecting and observation of a significant variety of minerals in the natural environment of the Ilmensky Reserve.
- On-the-job internships are held upon completion of the 3rd and 4th years of study in summer. Students gain skills and working experience at exploration geological-prospecting enterprises in the territory of Russia (Kursk region, South and Polar Urals, Trans-Baikal Territory, Far Eastern Federal District, etc.) and foreign countries (Africa, Middle East, Latin America, Asia).
Upon successful completion of this programme, graduates get a state-recognized diploma
(if necessary – an internationally recognized diploma). They can also be employed in the following organizations:
Major mining and exploration companies (as Geologist, Geological Engineer, Geochemist, Mineralogist, Petrologist, etc.):
- Norilsk Nickel (Nornickel);
- United Company RUSAL;
- Polymetal International INC.;
- Kinross Gold Corporation;
- BHP Billiton;
- Rio Tinto;
- and etc.
Design and Research Geological Institutes (as Geo-technician, Geologist, Geotechnical Engineer, Geological Specialist, Junior Researcher, Researcher, etc.):
- Central Research Institute of Geological Prospecting for Base and Precious Metals (TsNIGRI);
- A.P. Karpinsky Russian Geological Research Institute (VSEGEI);
- All-russian scientific-research institute of mineral resources named after N.M.Fedorovsky (VIMS);
- Institute of Mineralogy, Geochemistry and Crystallochemistry of Rare Elements (IMGRE);
- and etc.
Institutes of the Academy of Sciences (as Junior Researcher, Researcher, etc.):
- Geological Institute (GIN RAS);
- Institute of Geology of Ore Deposits, Petrography, Mineralogy and Geochemistry (IGEM RAS);
- Other Institutes of Geology of the Scientific Centers of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
And other organizations related to subsoil use.