About the profession
Landscape architect is a specialist who turns any open space into green space. Professional landscape architects’ area of work can extend from a small piece of land around the house to the areas of the national parks or nature reserves.
Historically, landscape architecture developed on the basis of landscape art, which is one of the most important working areas of the landscape architect. Landscape art includes not only park building, but also the formation of cities open spaces, inter-settlement spaces and other populated areas, based on landscape study.
Both garden and park art have always been distinguished by creative diversity in solving its specific tasks. The nature of this art depended on historical conditions, the terrain, level of culture, distinctive features of people. Landscape architecture as a specialty was formed in 1900, though mankind throughout its history has always engaged in this activity to a certain extend.
Landscape architecture is an extraordinary combination of art, science, design and environment.
Unlike other types of art, the basis of landscape architecture is nature. At landscape architecture’s disposal lays a variety of tools such as vegetation, relief as a geoplastic element, soil as an environment for vegetation development, stone and trees as a material for architectural elements, water both in a still state and in motion, air as an element of space and perspective.
The specialist ensure that trees, shrubs, flowers have a maximum spatial, decorative and color effects.
During the first year, is an intensive immersion in the profession takes place. Students will acquire cultural and professional competences. Graduates can carry out production and technological activities; ensure all types of construction works and maintain landscape architecture objects. They are prepared to manage the objects of landscape architecture in the field of their functional use and protection. They participate in the organization of technical and copyright control.
Students in the field of landscape architecture will actively participate in various Russian and international conferences, forums, festivals, roundtable discussions, competitions. It is not uncommon for the students to become winners of various professional competitions.
- Landscape science;
- Ecology of plants;
- Drawing and painting;
- Landscape design;
- Information technologies in landscape design;
- Design of the architectural space;
- Hard landscaping
- Urban planning with the basic architecture;
- Architectural graphics and basic composition;
- Construction and operation of landscape architecture;
- Basic forest management;
- History of landscape art;
- Vertical planning design of landscape architecture objects.
Annually students will undergo educational and work experience internships in Russian and foreign educational, research and industrial organizations, among them are:
- Sochi National Park, Sochi
- Nikitsky Botanical Garden, Yalta, Crimea
- The main botanical garden named after N.V. Tsitsina RAS, Moscow
- CJSC «Moszelenstroy», Moscow
- Workshop of landscape architecture and design of the RUDN
- Laboratory Agro-ecological Monitoring, Modeling and Forecasting in Ecosystems, Russian State Agrarian University - Moscow Agricultural Academy named after K.A.Timiryazev
- Design institutes and worksh ops
- Alpine Research Center of the University of Tuscia (Italy)
Graduates’ expertise and career opportunities
Specialists educated in RUDN work in different areas of landscape architecture:
- leading organizations working in the field of landscape architecture and design;
- agencies for the protection of specially protected natural areas;
- design institutes and workshops;
- construction organizations;
- departments of landscape gardening;
- committees on urban planning and protection of monuments, improvement and road facilities, urban planning and architecture.
Education at RUDN gives a good career start/ We meet potential employers and colleagues, communicate in professional circles.
Studying at ATI RUDN gives many opportunities for self-realization, which is essential for training in creative professions. Regular conferences, exhibitions, various competitions allow us to make a statement and in the first stages of training to get an idea of what the landscape architect's profession is.
A highly valued landscape architect can "paint" a vivid picture in the territory and accommodate all desired elements on a small piece of land. For someone who is engaged in the design of the landscape, the opportunities are enormous. After all, more and more people understand that it's not enough just to plant trees in a row and plant a lawn. It is also necessary that all these should be in harmony. And this is art ...
Leading engineer of the state-financed institution «Zhilischnik Yaroslavsky district», Deputy chairman of the section on state construction and local self-government of the Youth Chamber at the Moscow City Duma.
Head of the department of improvement works, State Unitary Enterprise «State Environmental Center», Department of natural resources and environmental protection of Moscow city.
Landscape architect, “SEZBDH” , Municipal budgetary institution of the Leninsky municipal district of the Moscow region “Service of single order, improvement and road facilities”.