Oil and Gas Geology
Academy of Engineering
About the profession
The oil and gas industry is the backbone of economy of any country. Nowadays, prospecting, exploration and production of oil and gas fields are rather relevant, especially in the countries of the Middle East, Europe, Asia, North and South America. The demand for qualified geologists who know geological features of oil and gas basins and are engaged in prospecting and exploration of oil and gas fields has recently increased.
This educational programme allows getting such professions as a geologist, geological engineer, petrologist, lithologist, etc.
Within five years of study, students acquire theoretical knowledge and practical skills related to prospecting and exploration of solid minerals, oil and gas fields.
The programme is aimed at training mining engineers (specialists) who can apply the acquired knowledge and skills in solving issues related to the study of the Earth and its subsoil, the development of the mineral resource base, forecasting, prospecting, exploration and exploitation of oil and gas fields to meet the needs of the fuel, chemical industry, assess the ecological state of territories.
Programme advantages. Upon completion of the programme, graduates can:
- carry out geological mapping, prospecting, evaluation and exploration works;
- draw up geological exploration projects;
- define promising areas;
- design the location of wells, keep documentation;
- carry out prospecting and exploration of oil, gas, gas condensate fields;
- apply highly efficient modern methods of geological and geophysical research and information processing;
- create 3D models of oil and gas deposits;
- draw up the maps of effective net oil pay zones;
- draw estimation plans of oil and gas deposits;
- evaluate forecast resources and estimate oil, combustible gases, gas condensate reserves;
- participate in the process of exploration and development of oil and gas fields;
- make an economic assessment of raw hydrocarbon deposits;
- perform scientific and production tasks using modern specialized software (GeoPoisk, Isoline, Eclipse, DV-Geo, etc.).
The most significant disciplines:
"Theoretical foundations of oil and gas prospecting and exploration"; "Basics of oil and gas development"; "Petroleum field geology"; “Estimation of reserves and assessment of oil and gas resources”; "Oil and gas provinces of Russia and foreign countries", etc.
- Educational geodesic internship is held during the spring semester of the 1st year of study on the territory of the University (campus and courtyard of the academic building of the Engineering Academy). Students gain knowledge and skills of working with geodetic instruments in the field, learn to draw up topographic maps.
- Educational geological internship is held after the 1st year of study in summer within one month on the territory of the Republic of Crimea. Students learn to work with geological tools (hammer, compass, map, GPS navigator, etc.) in the field, study various rocks and their location in the geological section, learn to draw up geological maps, as well as perform many other works that help to understand the geologist’s field life.
- Educational geophysical internship is held after the 2nd year of study in summer within two weeks at the training ground near the city of Miass, Chelyabinsk region. Students learn to work with geophysical equipment in the field, master working principles and prospecting methods of magnetic prospecting, electrical exploration, radiometry in the area of a gold ore field, which allows students to see the actual results of the work.
- Educational mineralogical-geochemical internship is held after geophysical internship, it takes place for 2 weeks in the vicinity of Miass city. The internship is focused on the consolidation of the mineralogy course and diagnostics of rocks and minerals in the field. Students are engaged in prospecting and observation of a significant variety of minerals in the natural environment of the Ilmensky Reserve.
- On-the-job internships are held upon completion of the 3rd and 4th years of study in summer. Students gain skills and working experience at exploration geological-prospecting enterprises in the territory of Russia (Siberian, Urals, Volga, Southern Federal Districts, etc.) and foreign countries (Africa, Middle East, Latin America, Asia).
Upon successful completion of this programme, graduates get a state-recognized diploma
(if necessary – an internationally recognized diploma). They can also be employed in the following organizations:
Geological departments of major oil and gas companies (as Geologist, Geological Engineer, Geochemist, Petrologist, Lithologist, Geophysicist, etc.):
- TNK BP
- JSC NC KazMunayGas
- and etc.
Design and Research Geological Institutes (as Geo-technician, Geologist, Geotechnical Engineer, Geological Specialist, Junior Researcher, Researcher, etc.):
- Krylov All-Russian Oil and Gas Scientific Research Institute Joint-Stock Company (VNIIneft JSC);
- All-Russian Research Geological Oil Institute (VNIGNI);
- A.P. Karpinsky Russian Geological Research Institute (VSEGEI);
- and etc.
Institutes of the Academy of Sciences (as Junior Researcher, Researcher, etc.):
- Geological Institute (GIN RAS);
- Other Institutes of Geology of the Scientific Centers of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
And other organizations associated with the oil and gas industry.