About the profession
The field of professional activity of graduates, who have mastered the residency programme, consists in the initial consultation of patients and the prescription of appropriate treatment and, if necessary, in specific treatment and issuing a referral to a particular single-discipline specialist.
Reception of a therapist implies an appropriate set of actions, which determines a comprehensive approach to the health condition and well-being of a patient. In particular, such actions include:
- history taking. This involves obtaining specific information about the patient's illness, as well as the detailed study of urgent complaints related to the patient’s well-being and the study of the medical history;
- the use of objective techniques in the examination. A patient is examined and, in turn, this includes percussion (tapping cavities), auscultation (listening to the lung area), palpation (palpating specific areas of organs);
- determination of specialized research methods. In particular, this includes third-party techniques in the form of X-ray and laboratory studies, ultrasound, etc.;
- entering the information that corresponds to the diagnosis of a patient with certain measures of treatment in his/her medical records. Identification of indicators requiring hospitalization of a patient. For example, if specific treatment in a hospital or surgical intervention is required, etc.;
- identification of actual risk factors that promote the development of chronic forms of diseases;
- execution of a sick-list;
- determination of the medicines required for taking, as well as specific procedures for the treatment and other curative measures.
The residency programme on the specialization "Therapy" is aimed at the training of a qualified therapist with a system of universal and professional competences, a specialist who can and is ready for independent professional work in the field of primary health care; specialized, including high-tech medical care; emergency, including specialized medical care; palliative care.
Medical residents are distributed to the units of the clinical sites of the department, where, under the guidance of professors of the department, they have the opportunity both to expand their knowledge and see its application in practice. Students analyze clinical events and this provides the opportunity to obtain a wealth of clinical experience during residency training.
A graduate of the residency programme is a highly qualified specialist, who can apply modern high-tech methods of diagnosis and treatment and carry out therapeutic, diagnostic, research activities, engage in private medical practice. Graduates of the programme have the opportunity to work in public hospitals, private clinics, medical secondary schools, higher educational institutions of medical specialization, scientific organizations, polyclinics, consultative- diagnostic centers, emergency wards. Upon completion of the residency programme, the students have the opportunity to enroll in the postgraduate programme on the specialization “Internal diseases”, which will allow them to hold a key position (head of the internal curative department).