Genetic Engineering implies not only developing new forms of plants but continuous awareness-raising activities with society which mostly believes in GMO being detrimental.
Graduated from the Biological Faculty, Rostov State University (Rostov-on-Don), Specialty ‘Biology’. Degree in Biology and Genetics, Teaching Biology and Chemistry.
Head of the Group of the Plant Cell Culture of Rostov State University.
Defended his PhD thesis in Biology, Specialty ‘Genetics’ entitled Chemical Mutagenesis Induced in Barley by N-Nitroso-N-Methyl Urea.
Visiting Professor of the University of Oregon, Eugene, USA.
Head of the Plant Cell Culture Team, Vavilov Institute of General Genetics, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow.
Head of the Cell Engineering Laboratory, Russian Academy of Sciences Centre for Bioengineering, Moscow.
Visiting Researcher of the ETH Zurich (Swiss Institute of Technology) (German: Eldgenossische Technische Hochschule Zurich), Zurich, Switzerland.
Defended his Doctor’s thesis in Genetics entitled Genetic Processes in Cereal Cells Cultured in Vitro.
Visiting Researcher of the Ohio State University Agricultural Technical Institute, Wooster Campus (Ohio State ATI, Wooster Campus), Ohio, USA.
Vice Director of Research of the Russian Academy of Sciences Centre for Bioengineering, Moscow.
Visiting Researcher of Novartis (Toulouse, France).
Chief Research Fellow of the Russian Academy of Sciences Koltsov Institute of Developmental Biology, Moscow.
Professor of the Agrarian and Biotechnological Department of the RUDN University Agrarian and Technological Institute.
Participation in the development of the governmental programmmes:
- Supervisor of the Sub-Panel on Biotechnology and Immunology in the long-term Indo-Russian Inter-Governmental Programme in Science and Technologies; 2000-2010.
- Member of the working group on developing BIO 2020 Programme of the Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation.
- Member of the working group of the Ministry of Agriculture of the Russian Federation, developing the Genetic Engineering Road Map.
- Member of the Panel on High Technologies of the State Duma of the Russian Federation.
- Member of the Panel on Biotechnologies in Crop Research of the Research and Development Board of the Ministry of Agriculture.
- Member of the Indo-Russian Inter-Governmental Working Group on Science and Technologies.
Alexander K. Gaponenko delivers lectures to the students enrolled in the RUDN University further vocational education programmes in the following disciplines:
- Theoretical Basics of Developing Stress-Tolerant Plants;
- Physical and Chemical Foundations of Biotechnology;
- GMO Safety and Methods of GMO Control;
- Transgenic Plant Technology.
- - Alexander K. Gaponenko developed the methods for cultivating somatic cells of wheat, barley and sunflower in vitro, and the most important food crops – wheat (1984) and sunflower (1990) - were grown from a plant cell for the first time in the USSR, which allowed to start developing methods for their genetic transformation.
- - The method for genetic transformation of sugar beet was developed and patented under the supervision of Professor Gaponenko in the Laboratory of Plant Cell Engineering of the Russian Academy of Sciences Centre for Bioengineering in 2006 and the first limited field tests of transgenic forms of sugar beet were conducted in the Russian Federation.
Participation in inventions (author of the following patents)
- Gaponenko А.K., Mishutkina Ya.V., Timoshenko А. А., Shulga О. А., Spechenkova N.А. Patent of Invention of the Russian Federation №2646108 “Method for Producing Transgenic Wheat Plants Using Bioballistics”. 07 December 2016.
- Gaponenko А.K., Ohrimenko G.N., Sozinov А.А.. Inventor’s Certificate of the USSR №1458386. “Method for Cultivating Wheat Tissue”. 15 October 1988.
- Gaponenko А.K., Voronina I.P. Inventor’s Certificate of the USSR № 720596. “Method of Regeneration of Sunflower Plants from Somatic Cells Cultivated in vitro”. Invention priority of 19.03.1990.
- Gaponenko А.K. Patent of Invention of the Russian Federation №2179187. “Method for Producing Transgenic Sunflower Plants”. 10 February 2002.
- Gaponenko А.K. Patent of Invention of the Russian Federation №2193066. “Ballistic Method for Producing Transgenic Sunflower Plants (Helianthus annuus L.)”. 20 October 2001.
- Gaponenko А.K., Ahmed Abu Kamel. Patent of Invention of the Russian Federation №2180165. ”Method for Micro-clonal Reproduction of Gladiolus”. 10 March 2002.
- Gaponenko А.K. Patent of Invention of the Russian Federation № 2277586. “Method for Producing Wheat Resistant to Pest Corn Bug (Eurygaster integryceps Puton) using Genetic Engineering Methods”. 10 June 2006.
- Gaponenko А.K., Mishutkina Ya.V., Skryabin K.G. Patent of Invention of the Russian Federation №. 2278162. “Method for Producing Genetically Modified Sugar Beet Plants using Agrobacterium Tumefaciens”. 20 June 2006.
- Cell and genetic (genetic and engineering) bases of developmental biology and plant biotechnology.
- Research into regulation of in vitro morphogenesis of the most important food crops of the Russian Federation – wheat, sugar beet and sunflower.
- Development of wheat and sunflower varieties resistant to unfavourable factors of the environment using genetic engineering methods for agriculture of the Russian Federation.
- Development of the new forms of rubber plants with high production, high quality natural rubber, and improved agrotechnical properties.