Born in Irkutsk.
Obtained a specialist’s degree in Physics and Radio Physics at Irkutsk State University.
Junior Research Fellow of the Irkutsk Institute of Organic Chemistry of the USSR Academy of Sciences.
Postgraduate student of the Institute of Chemistry of Natural Compounds of the USSR Academy of Sciences, Moscow (currently, Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow).
Defended his PhD thesis entitled “NMR spectroscopy of vinyl ethers”.
Junior Research Fellow of the All Soviet Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants.
Worked at the Institute of Petro- and Coal-chemical Synthesis of Irkutsk State University in different posts from a Junior Research Fellow to the Head of Laboratory of Physical Research Methods.
Presented doctoral thesis entitled “NMR Spectrometry of Organic Chalcogenides” and obtained a doctoral degree in Organic Chemistry.
Head of the Department of Analytical Chemistry of Irkutsk State University (ISU).
Dean of the ISU Department of Chemistry.
Full member of the Russian Ecological Academy.
Awarded the title of Honorary Higher Vocational Education Worker of the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation.
RUDN University Professor of the Department of Systems Ecology.
Director of the RUDN University Core Facility (Academic and Educational Centre) Centre for Precision Instrumental Methods of Analysis. Vice-President of the Russian Ecological Society.
- Gennadii A. Kalabin developed principles and methods of analysis of natural organic raw material and products of its processing using the method of quantitative 1Н, 2Н, 13С, 17О NMR spectroscopy. On the basis of these methods the fractional composition of oil is studied, monitoring of synthesis of antioxidants, biodegradation of oil pollution, processing of rubber waste, quality control of widely used pharmaceutical drugs and biologically active supplements, etc. are carried out.
- Author of 7 monographs devoted to different aspects of applying NMR spectrosсopy. The most significant among them is Quantitative NMR spectroscopy of organic raw material and products of its processing (Moscow, Chemistry ed., 2000, 408 p.), based only on the research results of the scientific school of chemists-spectroscopists founded by Gennadii A. Kalabin.
- During his work at Irkutsk State University he created an Analytical Centre and specialization «Expert Chemistry» on its basis.
- In 2001-2003 he developed a project of an analytical centre for doing research in the analysis of complex organic objects using a set of independent and complementary physical and chemical methods. The project was implemented under the RUDN University Core Facility, which currently deals with the research of quality and composition of food, medicinal products and dietary supplements, petroleum products, etc. and other kinds of research.
- Author/co-author of three patents, the latest is Method of determination of metallurgical coke strength, 2008.
Areas of expertise
- Identification and authentication of food products and medicinal substances,
- early diagnosis of diseases on the basis of the composition of human biofluids (metabolomics),
- forecast of properties of humates, lignins, petroleum products based on their spectral descriptors.