Graduated with honors from the Medical Faculty of Peoples’ Friendship University named after P. Lumumba (now - RUDN University), specialty “General Medicine”. Diploma of translator from English into Russian.
Studied in residency at the Department of Internal Diseases and Clinical Pharmacology of Peoples’ Friendship University named after P. Lumumba (now - RUDN University). From 1986 to 1988, postgraduate student at the same department.
Thesis on “Clinically important aspects of the pharmacodynamics of clonidine in hypertension” for the degree of Candidate of Medical Sciences was defended.
Assistant, from 1993 - associate professor of the Department of Internal Diseases of Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia (now - RUDN University).
Thesis on “Clinical and pharmacodynamic justification of the choice of antihypertensive drugs in patients with essential hypertension with concomitant risk factors” for the degree of Doctor of Medical Sciences was defended.
Professor of the Department of Internal Diseases of Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia (now - RUDN University).
Head of the Department of Propaedeutics of Internal Diseases, which since 2004 has been recognized as the leading scientific and pedagogical academic staff of RUDN University at the International level.
Title of “Honored Worker of Science of the Russian Federation” for merits in scientific activity.
Headed the Department of Internal Diseases with Cardiology and Functional Diagnostics Course named after Academician V. S. Moiseev at the Institute of Medicine, RUDN University.
Title of Corresponding Member of the Russian Academy of Sciences. In the same year, N. S. Korotkov Prize of the Russian Society of Cardiology as a sign of public recognition for contribution to the development of cardiology, reducing cardiovascular morbidity and mortality in the Russian Federation was awarded.
Gives lectures to RUDN students of the 2, 3, 4 years of specialties “General Medicine” and "Dental Medicine”, residents and postgraduates, students of the Faculty of Continuing Medical Education of RUDN University:
- “Functional diagnostics”;
- “Internal diseases”.
Author of the manuals:
- Edited by J. D. Kobalava. Internal medicine in clinical observations. selected works. Moscow: RUDN 2020.
The book contains descriptions of selected clinical cases previously published in annual collections prepared by the academic staff and students of the RUDN Clinic of Internal Diseases. The presented observations relate to all sections of internal medicine. Some of them are interesting for their uniqueness, others - the complexity of the differential diagnosis. Many discuss promising and poorly understood (at the time of writing), as well as controversial aspects of managing complex patients. This book is intended for doctors of various profiles, medical students, residents, postgraduate students.
- Edited by J. D. Kobalava. Heart disease in questions and answers. In 2 parts. Moscow: RUDN 2019.
The manual in Cardiology “Heart diseases in questions and answers” was prepared at the Department of Internal Diseases with Cardiology and Functional Diagnostics Course named after Academician V. S. Moiseev of RUDN University and is intended for students, interns, residents, students of postgraduate education courses, cardiologists, therapists, general practitioners. The manual consists of two parts and contains up-to-date information about the most common diseases of the heart and blood vessels in the practice of a modern doctor, including etiology, pathogenesis, clinical picture, classification, basic principles of diagnosis and treatment. The purpose of the manual is to provide a complete course in the discipline “Cardiology” in a concise form, to familiarize with modern Russian and international recommendations for the treatment and diagnostics of cardiovascular diseases.
- Developed and implemented in clinical practice the concepts of cardiorenal relationships (simultaneous violation of the functions of the heart and kidneys) in arterial hypertension, diabetes mellitus, acute coronary syndrome, acute and chronic heart failure, infectious endocarditis, cardio-hepatic and hepatic-renal interactions.
- Studied a number of pathogenetic features of arterial hypertension, including in patients with comorbid therapeutic pathology.
- Studied clinical and research capabilities of daily monitoring of blood pressure, central blood pressure, aortic stiffness and major arteries.
- Proposed approaches to the typing of arterial hypertension based on the determination of plasma renin activity and aortic stiffness to determine the optimal management tactics for patients with difficult-to-control hypertension.
- Established Center for chronic heart failure. The system of seamless care for patients with heart failure was created.
- Organized the ARGUS and ARGUS-2, PRISMA, and Doctors’ Health programmes, which identified Russian-specific barriers for patients and doctors to ensure adherence to long-term and effective treatment.
- Organized Russian scientific and educational programmes to improve the control of cardiovascular risk factors, increase patients’ adherence to long-term therapy.
- Organized a unique center for Russia to conduct early phase clinical trials of drugs for the treatment of a wide range of diseases (heart failure, bronchial asthma, diabetes mellitus, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.), to study their pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics in patients with impaired liver and kidney function. Made a great contribution to the study of highly effective drugs for the treatment of heart failure - sacubitril / valsartan (LCZ696) and serelaxin.
- Developed the multidisciplinary national guidelines “Cardiovascular risk and chronic kidney disease: strategies for cardio-nephroprotection”.
- Studies the issues of monitoring the safety of drug therapy in a therapeutic hospital.
- J. D. Kobalava is the most highly cited scientist of RUDN University. The article by J. D. Kobalava and co-authors - Antiinflammatory Therapy with Canakinumab for Atherosclerotic Disease New England Journal of Medicine, Vol. 377, Issue 12, pp. 1119-1131, 2017 - has more than 2000 citations in the world databases Web of Science and Scopus.
- Inter-organ relationship,
- Internal diseases,