Students have the same information as New York investors
April 22, 20 RUDN students — economists, ecologists and PR specialists learned how to become successful investors and where to start studying the market at the master class “Modern approach to stock portfolio management” by Nikita Emelyanov, Director of the department for work with shares of Sistema Capital Asset Management Company.
“A private investor has a privilege that most professionals do not enjoy — the opportunity to buy long-term assets without the fear of losing jobs if the market is not very favorable in the short term,” says Nikita Emelyanov.
5 basic investing rules from Nikita Emelyanov:
1. Invest in what you understand.
Find a fund whose investment strategy is close to you and invest most of your money there. Invest the remaining money in shares of those companies whose business you understand and like. This approach will provide you with quite a good investment return and satisfy your desire to manage money yourself, while your investment portfolio will reflect your life values.
2. Bidding data is available to everyone
If before, you could find the data on the auctions only the next day in the newspapers, now everything happens in real time. Students who want to trade between lectures have the same information as New York investors.
3. Don’t chase super profits
If you invest in the stock market, your long-term target is 10% per year (in USD). You can also expect a result above 10%, provided you have favorable circumstances and / or high skills. However, you should not overestimate your own expertise, since even the greatest investors do not get above 20% over the long term.
4. Try to think like other investors
If you want to buy stocks because they “look inexpensive,” think about what is in the minds of those investors who are selling these stocks to you. They have the same information before as you, but based on it, they made the opposite decision. Why? Where are they going wrong?
5. Try to be one step ahead of the rest
Carefully study companies and investor behavior and over time you will understand what is inherent in stock prices right now. All you will have to do then is to take one step and understand what investors will think tomorrow and take a corresponding position.
“I have been on the market for less than a year, but in the future I would like to work in Investor relations, so I attend master classes of Sistema investment company. Although my major at university does not imply a lot of finance, I have already done research on how to promote the market among new clients and I have identified two functions for myself — education and modernization of the investment structure. I study everything on my own, but now there is no lack of sources, like online universities from brokers, it’s just a matter of desire,” says Tatyana Repina, 2nd- year student of Advertising and Public Relations, RUDN Institute of World Economy and Business.
“Knowing how securities work and what is popular in the economy during crisis, you can make money. Nikita Emelyanov spoke about the efficient market theory and types of analysis. I was surprised that US analysts overestimate companies that are now on the buzz. I was mostly impressed by the fundamental type of analysis — the world is so interesting that it is difficult not to know what is happening around. The master class convinced that no one is born an analyst, you can only become one,” says Valeria Bulanova, 3rd- year student of Economics, Faculty of Economics.
How to join the Sistema Capital team
Nikita Emelyanov: “Doubt all the dogmas you hear, and do not hesitate to ask questions. Curiosity is good, especially in junior positions. Curious people ask uncomfortable questions to those who sometimes do not know the answer themselves. What is also important is openness to the world, free creative thinking and mathematical mindset. ”
Nikita Emelyanov recommends reading the news on the following channels:
- Channel about the global stock market
- Channel about investments and personal finance of the MTS Investments project
- April 17-24, at the “Week of Success of Sistema JSFC and RUDN University”, 130 students of the Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia met the experts of Sistema JSFC and learned about the intricacies of the work of top managers in the field of HR, design, investment and stress management.
- In 2020, Sistema JSFC and RUDN University announced launching comprehensive collaboration in the sphere of telecommunications, agronomy, medicine, pharmaceuticals and career tracks elaboration. Joint projects are launched with 5 assets of Sistema: PJSC MTS, JSC Medsi, LLC Aeromax, STEPPE Agroholding, and the pharmaceutical holding of the Corporation.
- Sistema is a major private investor into the real sector of economy. The corporation’s diversified portfolio of assets mainly consists of Russian companies representing various industries, including telecommunications, retail, wood processing, agriculture high-tech, financial services, real estate, medicine and hospitality.
Rector of RUDN University Oleg Yastrebov presented awards from the Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation, gratitude from the Peoples' Friendship University of Russia and the Global Universities Association to the university staff.
Yury Chikhanchin, Director of the Federal Financial Monitoring Service of Russia (Rosfinmonitoring), presented Oleg Yastrebov, RUDN Rector, with a Certificate of Merit from the President of the Russian Federation.
April 13, 2022, at a meeting of the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) of the United Nations (UN) in New York, Professor Aslan Abashidze, Head of the Department of International Law of RUDN Institute of Law was elected member of the UN Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights for the fourth time for four year (2023-2026).