International Symposium "Theology in the Modern Educational and Scientific Space"
The event was organized by the Peoples' Friendship University of Russia and the Church Post-Graduate and Doctorate School named after Saints Cyril and Methodius.
The symposium was attended by over 100 participants, including from 11 foreign countries (Switzerland, Slovakia, Romania, Armenia, Italy, Egypt, Bulgaria, Turkey, Portugal, France and Germany) and various regions of Russia.
The moderators of the International Symposium were Vladimir Filippov, Rector of RUDN University, Academician of the Russian Academy of Education, Chairman of the Higher Attestation Commission of the Ministry of Education and Science of Russia, and Archpriest Vladimir Vorobyov, Rector of St.Tikhon’s Orthodox University, Chairman of the Federal educational and methodical association in the field of higher education in "Theology".
The participants of the symposium discussed the main aspects of the development of theology in the educational and scientific space, including:
- The evolution of theology in the context of the development of society;
- The place of theology in the structure of modern humanitarian education;
- Features of the presence of theology in the scientific space;
- Specific foreign academic traditions of awarding scientific degrees and staff audit in the field of theology.
In their speeches, world and Russian scientists, representatives of the Interreligious Council of Russia, Expert Council on Theology of the Higher Attestation Commission of the Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation, Federal Teaching and Methodological Association on Theology, Interdepartmental Coordination Group of the Moscow Patriarchate on Teaching Theology in Higher Education Institutions raised questions related to the activities of theological faculties of universities (including in the framework of the Bologna program), joint efforts of the Church and state for the development of theology as the basis for intercultural dialogue, models of theological education in different countries and the need for a critical study of international experience in the development of theology.
During the discussion the following concerns and recommendations were expressed:
- the need to consolidate resources for the development of the international expert community in the field of theology;
- the importance of the exchange of experience between educational organizations for the development of theological education;
- the importance of international experience in teaching theology on the principles of innovation and creativity in the development of educational programs in educational institutions of higher education;
- the efficiency of using theological knowledge in order to prevent violence and extremism under religious slogans in the modern world;
- the importance of increasing students’ theological literacy;
- the feasibility of conducting joint multicultural research in the departments and faculties of theology in universities.
RUDN University is one of the three winners in the country. The Scientific Research Institute of Molecular and Cellular Medicine of RUDN Institute of Medicine will become a clinical base for a 4-year project in the field of genetic research for the treatment of soft tissue sarcomas.
The chemist of RUDN together with colleagues from Iran and Spain created a catalyst based on palladium and nickel for the oxidation of cyclohesane in the production of adipic acid, which is used for the production of cleaning products, food dyes and other substances. The new catalyst made it possible to double the consumption of cyclohexane.
On February 28, 2023, invited lector Dương Thu Hằng (Head of Department of Vietnamese Literature, Faculty of Philology, Thai Nguyen University, Vietnam) gave lecture entitled “Intercultural communication in the context of global integration and the fourth industrial revolution” within the framework of academic and methodological online seminar of the Foreign Languages Department of the Agrarian and Technological Institute of RUDN University. The lecture was held online via Microsoft Teams. Languages — the Vietnamese language, the English language & the Russian language.