- Vladimir M. Filippov was born in the town of Uryupinsk, Stalingrad region to a family of a medical nurse and a military officer.
- Secondary comprehensive school №2 named after Alexander Pushkin (Uryupinsk town), excellent records of studies starting from the fourth form, actively engaged in sports, school activities leader, finished school with honors (silver medal).
- Student of Peoples' Friendship University named after Patrice Lumumba, graduated from the Faculty of Physics, Mathematics and Natural Sciences with honors in the specialty of "Mathematics".
- University PhD student.
– Served in the USSR Armed Forces of the USSR.
- Chairman of the University Young Researchers’ Board.
- Assistant lecturer, University Department of Higher Mathematics.
- Ph.D. thesis defense, Steklov Institute of Mathematics, USSR Academy of Sciences, specialty 01.01.01 - "Mathematical Analysis", Academician S.M. Nikol'skii School of Mathematics, scientific advisor -corresponding Member of the USSR Academy of Sciences Prof. L.D. Kudryavtsev.
- Head of the University Department for Research Management.
- Research studies in mathematics at he Université libre de Bruxelles (ULB) (Belgium).
- Head of the Department of Mathematical Analysis, Peoples' Friendship University of Russia.
- PhD thesis defense, Steklov Institute of Mathematics, USSR Academy of Sciences, specialty 01.01.01 - "Mathematical Analysis").
- Title of professor of mathematical analysis department award.
- Secretary of the Peoples' Friendship University communist party committee.
- Dean of the Faculty of Physics, Mathematics and Natural Sciences, People's Friendship University.
- Twice elected as deputy of the Moscow City Council; chairman of the Moscow City Council Standing Commission on Interethnic Relations - Member of the Presidium of Moscow City Council.
- September 1998 - Rector of the Peoples' Friendship University of Russia.
- Minister of Education of the Russian Federation in four succeeding Russian Federation Governments.
- Assistant to the Chairman of the Russian Federation Government (for education and culture).
- Head of the RUDN Department of Comparative educational policy PFUR - UNESCO Chair.
- Rector of Peoples' Friendship University of Russia (elected in 2005, re-elected in 2010 and 2015).
Author of over 250 research and methodical works, including 30 books, two of which have been translated and republished in the United States by the American Mathematical Society.
Fluent in French and English.
Married and has two children.