Graduated from Lomonosov Moscow State University, Faculty of Biology, Department of Zoology of Vertebrates.
Defended his PhD thesis entitled “Day-time rodents’ distant acoustic signaling of open spaces” under Professor N.P.Naumov’s supervision in the Department of Zoology at Lomonosov Moscow State University.
Worked as a Junior and Senior Research Fellow and Senior Research Scientist in the Lomonosov Moscow State University Department of Zoology of Vertebrates.
Defended his doctoral thesis entitled “Acoustic signaling of mammals in the evolutionary process” at Lomonosov Moscow State University.
Awarded the Honorary Diploma of the Moscow Society of Nature Investigators for the book by Nikol’skii A.A., Frommolt K.-H. “Acoustic activity of wolves”, Moscow: MSU Press, 1989. 126 p.
Head of the Chief Department of Reserves Management and Studies of the State Nature Management Committee (Ministry of Nature) of the USSR. USSR Peoples’ Deputy for scientific societies and associations, member of the Ecology Committee.
Member of the Commission on Specially Protected Areas at the International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (IUCN).
Professor of the RUDN University Department of Systems Ecology.
Awarded the Gold Medal of Innsbruck Zoo (Austria) for his contribution to studying mountain mammals.
Received the letter of Appreciation from the Ministry of Resources of the Russian Federation for his contribution to the development of reserve management and studies.
Awarded the Vernadskiy Order of the Vernadskiy Foundation for his contribution to ecology.
- Alexander A. Nikol’skii developed the courses in history of ecology and evolutionary ecology for the RUDN University Faculty of Ecology.
- He delivers the following lecture courses
for bachelor students:
- Introduction to the professional field (field of study «Ecology and Nature Management»);
- Sustainable development (field of study «Ecology and Nature Management», «Energy and Resource-saving Processes in Chemical Engineering, Petrochemistry and Biotechnology)
for master’s students:
“Modern issues of ecology and nature management” (field of study “Nature Management Economics”, “Evaluation of the Environmental Safety of Nature Use”, “Nature Management” (under the SCO University programme), “Rational Use of Nature Resources”, “Production and Consumer Waste Recycling”)
- An audio library of the acoustic signals of mammals has been collected. It was recorded in the field expedition conditions in the vast territory of Russia, CIS and other countries. The analysis of this unique collection allowed to study species specificity of vocal activity of mammals, geographical variability, fine acoustic structure of sound signals by means of which animals encode the information.
- 200 printing works have been published, including 4 monographs:
- Acoustic signals of mammals in the evolutionary process. USSR Academy of Sciences Moscow Society of Nature Investigators. Мoscow. 1984. 201 p.
- Frommolt K.-H. “Acoustic activity of wolves”, Moscow: MSU Press, 1989. 126 p.
- Ecological bioacoustics of mammals. Мoscow: MSU Press, 1992. 120 p.
- Great ideas of great ecologists: history of key concepts in ecology. Мoscow: GEOS, 2014. 190 p.
Areas of expertise
- Key ecological factors and mechanisms of the implementation of an ecological niche of mammal species.
- Population structure.
- Biological signal field, research into which gives insight into the communicative mechanisms of spatial organization of ecosystems.
- Acoustic communication of mammals as a model object for the research of intraspecies communication processes. Using the quantitative description of acoustic parameters of audio signals of mammals it became possible to identify two basic parameters – genetically and ecologically determined. The animals realize the genetic pool of their population by means of the first function and the ecological niche of the species by means of the second.
- Humanitarian aspects of environmental protection.