Graduated from Lomonosov Moscow State University.
Engineer-weather forecaster of the Ministry of Defence (Soviet Union).
Engineer of forest protection of Shatura logging enterprise, Moscow region.
Candidate thesis on “Decryption of soil cover of forest-steppe of the Central Black Earth region of medium-scale space images” was presented. Academic degree - Candidate of Geographical Sciences was awarded.
Head of the laboratory of V.V. Dokuchaev Soil Science Institute.
Professor of Agroengineering Department of Agrarian and Technological Institute RUDN (formerly - Department of Soil science, agriculture and land cadastre of the Agrarian Faculty RUDN).
Researcher, Institute for the Protection and Security of the Citizen (IPSC), Ispra, Italy.
Doctoral thesis on “Analysis of soil resources based on GIS technologies” was presented. Academic degree - Doctor of Agricultural Sciences was awarded.
Head of the sector of Space Research Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
Deputy Director on scientific work of V.V. Dokuchaev Soil Science Institute.
Corresponding member of scientific division on Agricultural Sciences (section of agriculture, melioration, water and forestry) RAS.
Conducts lectures for RUDN students of “Land management, cadastres” direction:
- Remote sensing,
- Land monitoring.
The author of the following study guides:
- Digital soil mapping (Savin I. Yu.; Dokukin P. A. M.: RUDN, 2017, 156 p.)
The study guide provides detailed instructions for processing field data to create digital soil maps using open source software (R, SAGA, QGIS, ILWIS, SoLIM). The purpose of the book is to make methods and approaches of digital soil cartography available to a wide range of specialists both theoretical and practical orientation - soil scientists, ecologists, geographers, agronomists. The first chapter provides a brief description of the programs used and a brief introduction to their interface. The second chapter describes procedures for initial data preparation: planning of sampling, harmonization of the relevant data on depths, morphometric analysis of digital elevation models, and finding and downloading satellite images from the resource earthexplorer.usgs.gov. The third chapter provides exercises - step-by-step instructions for creating digital maps based on field data of soil testing. The fourth chapter contains exercises to create maps of soil classes and properties based on satellite data. It is intended for use in courses on mapping and monitoring of soils and lands in the preparation of specialists in the directions “Agronomy”, “Land Management and Cadastres”, “Soil Science”, “Agrophysics”, “Landscape design”.
- Aerospace methods in forestry and agriculture (computer workshop) (Savin I. Yu., M., RUDN, 112 p., 2015)
The study guide provides basic information about the techniques of computer interpretation and analysis of space images. The essence of the analysis methods and step-by-step instructions for practical tasks are described. Questions for self-examination are given. Tasks are based on the use of GIS application package ILWIS V. 3.3. For students studying in the directions “Agronomy” and “Land Management and Cadastres”.
- Foundations of new methods of mapping (inventory) of soils in different scales, based on the use of modern computer GIS technologies and data of remote sensing of the Earth surface were developed.
- Assessment of land suitability for cultivation of major crops at different levels of aggregation (all countries to the individual regions and farms) was conducted.
- Developed Methodical basis of satellite monitoring of the soil cover to create a geographic information system (GIS) “Monitoring of black soil erosion” and GIS “Monitoring of soil moisture to predict barley yield” were developed.
- Multivariate geographic information system to assess the resource potential of soils and lands of Russia was created.
- Study in the development of satellite methods of monitoring crops and forecasting crop yields form the basis of the “System of remote monitoring of agricultural lands” of the Ministry of Agriculture of the Russian Federation, as well as the basis for a system of monitoring of crops of the European Commission.
- Remote mapping.
- Monitoring of soils and lands.
- Soil-genetic zoning.
- Modern soil information system.