Graduated from the Faculty of Biology of Moscow State University and was enrolled in a postgraduate programme of the Institute of Biological and Medical Chemistry of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences.
Completed postgraduate studies, defended the PhD thesis entitled “Hormonal Regulation of Glycogens in Rats”.
Worked at the Institute of Biomedical Chemistry of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences as a Junior Research Fellow.
Senior Research Fellow in All Soviet Union Research Institute of Biosynthesis of Protein Substances “VVNIIsyntezbelok”.
Senior Research Scientist, then Chief Research Fellow of the PFUR Institute of Biomedical Research.
Defended Doctor’s thesis in Biochemistry and Microbiology entitled “Physiology and biochemistry of hybrids of yeast – producers of food and feed protein”.
Professor of the RUDN University Department of Systems Ecology.
Member of the Russian Biochemical Society.
Awarded the Gold Medal of the International Exhibition of Innovations “Euvreca-98” (Brussels, Belgium) for unlocking the mechanism of action of a nucleotide preparation and the way of obtaining it.
Member of FEBS (Federation of European Biochemical Societies).
Awarded the VVC Silver Medal for clinical testing of nucleotide preparation.
Awarded the Silver Medal of the Russian Health Ministry for the contribution to national health.
Awarded the First-Degree Diploma at the exhibition competition «High-efficiency Food Technologies, Methods and Means for Their Implementation» for drug formulation of the nucleotide preparation VITANAM.
Member of FASEB (Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology).
Member of the Russian Society of Biotechnologists.
Awarded the Diploma of “Innovative projects and public health” (Dubna, Russia) for the drug formulation VITANAM.
Valentina S. Orlova delivers lectures for bachelor students in Ecology and Nature Management and Energy and Resource-saving Processes in Chemical Technology, Petrochemistry and Biotechnology in the following disciplines:
- Biology of a cell;
- Applied ecology.
She teaches original courses for bachelor students in Energy and Resource-saving Processes in Chemical Technology, Petrochemistry and Biotechnology in the following disciplines:
- Basic Biochemistry
- Valentina S. Orlova developed the technology of recycling of agricultural waste and the waste containing cellulose aimed at receiving target products (feed protein and glucose). The technology has been patented, currently the technology is under implementation at the Arkhangelsk pulp and paper plant.
- A number of medicinal products have been developed, in particular a complex nucleotide preparation from the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae (international patent). The preparation was registered by the Health Ministry of the Russian Federation as an immunostimulatory drug product for the treatment of acute respiratory viral infections of adults and children aged 6 and above, seasonal prevention of acute respiratory viral infections and complex therapy of type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- Innovative technology of complex processing of active sludge of treatment plants into high-quality, environmentally friendly, granulated organic fertilizer has been developed. Under the technology active sludge undergoes short-term pre-treatment to sterilize feedstock, inactivate toxic substances and antibiotics.
- One of the founders of the engineering and manufacturing centre SANTEHPROM-ECOBIOTEH created to implement modern environmental solutions developed by the scientific community, firstly, issues of waste disposal by means of creating multi-purpose processing lines and production modules for the disposal of agricultural, wood-working, milling and food-industry waste and production of high-demanded goods on their basis (fertilizers, feeding stuff, glucose, etc.)
- author/co-author of 8 patents, including 3 international patents:
- Method of obtaining a nucleotide preparation from the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae, 1998;
- Change in carbohydrate metabolism when growing microorganisms on the non-carbohydrate sources of carbon feed, 1998;
- Method of obtaining a highly-efficient strain of yeast with maximum ATP (adenosine triphosphate), 1999.
Areas of expertise
- Cancerous tumor development mechanism and early diagnosis of cancer.
- Study of type 2 diabetes development and mechanisms of its alleviation.
Research into genetic and biochemical bases of regulation of cell death which results in new methods of cancer detection and in future their treatment; development of new preparations for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease; prevention of cardiovascular diseases of spacemen during space flights.