The XVII Annual Blischenko Congress
The Congress represents a platform for discussing contemporary issues of international law and bears the name of Professor Igor Blischenko, who headed the Department of International Law, RUDN University for 20 years.
More than 500 scholars, practitioners, students and Ph.D. students from more than 70 countries, including the representatives of more than 40 regions of Russia, participate in the Congress annually.
The 2019 Congress will bring together the heads of departments of international law at leading Russian Universities, foreign and Russian scholars, UN experts and representatives of other international organisations, the representatives of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Russian Ministry of Justice, the Russian Ministry of Science and Higher Education, the Russian Ministry of Education, the Russian Academy of Sciences, non-governmental organisations, mass media and judicial publishing houses.
19 December 2016 UN General Assembly adopted Resolution 71/178 which proclaimed 2019 year as the International Year of Indigenous Languages. In February 2019 the XVII Annual Blischenko Congress was included in the International Year of Indigenous Languages official events list.
The keynote speakers of the congress sessions will be renowned international law scholars, including:
- Alexey ISPOLINOV, Head of the Department of International Law, Moscow State University, Doctor of Legal Sciences
- Anna OTKE, Member of the Committee on Social Policy of the Federation Council of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation, Candidate of Legal Sciences
- Bakhtiyar TUZMUKHAMEDOV, Member of the UN Committee against Torture, Russia, Candidate of Legal Sciences
- Ivan TIMOFEEV, Director of Programs at the Russian International Affairs Council, Associate Professor at MGIMO-University, Candidate of Political Sciences
- Jutta BRUNNÉE, Professor, Metcalf Chair in Environmental Law, University of Toronto, Canada
- Nico SCHRIJVER, Professor of Public International Law, Leiden University
- Niels BLOKKER, Professor of International Institutional Law, Leiden University, Netherlands
- Stanislav CHERNICHENKO, Chief Research Fellow, Institute of State and Law, Russian Academy of Sciences, Doctor of Legal Sciences, Professor
- Valery KONNOV, Head of the Department of Human Rights and International Law, Kikot Moscow University of the Interior Ministry of Russia, Candidate of Legal Sciences
- Vladimir KARTASHKIN, Chief Research Fellow, Institute of State and Law, Russian Academy of Sciences, Honored Lawyer of Russia, Doctor of Legal Sciences, Professor
The Congress delegates will also have an opportunity to participate in the round tables which will provide platforms for exchange of views on the following topics:
- Protection of environment: interaction between international and national law (in English). D. Boklan, N. Sokolova, A. Solntsev
- International legal protection of indigenous peoples. International Year of Indigenous Languages. Ananidze F.
- UN and other international intergovernmental organizations and entities. Multilateral Diplomacy (in English). Blokker N., Kuteynikov A.
- Africa and international law (in English). A. Mezyaev, Ya.N. Adu,
- International protection of human rights (in English). A. Koneva
- International criminal law. 25th Anniversary of the Establishment of the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda. A. Klunya
After the end of the plenary session, a meeting of the heads of departments of international law will take place.
A few days before the start of the Congress, a series of lectures by visiting foreign scholars on the contemporary issues of international law will be organized.
The registration for the Congress will be in the main hall of the University from 9.00 till 10.00. The plenary session will be held in the Assembly hall from 10.00 to 12.00. The sections will be held from 13.00 to 17.00. At 17.10, the closing ceremony of the Congress will start.